Take ready mixed and precast concrete to the next level with rich
ColorTech colour. Made with 100% synthetic iron oxide pigments,
ColorTech is the ideal, economical, integral colouring choice for
flatwork and vertical applications.
Uses And Benefits
- Synthetic iron oxide pigments give exceptional colour dispersion
and the strongest purest colours, pour after pour. ColorTech pigments
do not contain admixtures and are manufactured under the strictest
quality control standards.
- ColorTech pure pigments are fade-resistant and conform to
ASTM C 979 (except pigment CC80, which is a high-tinting strength
carbon black that requires special care—please refer to “Limitations”
section in this bulletin).
- These high-strength pigments yield an expansive palette of
beautiful colours. Custom colours are also available with
no extra charge for colour matching.
- ColorTech is high-performing colour that is also easy to handle.
Packaged for clean handling and fast batching, ColorTech colour
comes in disintegrating bags of 1-, 5- and 25-pound sizes for
exact cubic yard dosing. (Other packaging options are also available—for
complete information, see “Packaging” section in this bulletin.)
A batch label system tracks the colour from our warehouse to your
job site for quality control.
- For large volume ready mixed operations, QC CONSTRUCTION PRODUCTS
also offers BAYFERROX C by QC, the industry’s superior colour automation
Before Any Application
1. ColorTech colour has been designed for ready mixed,
precast, and mortar colouring use only. ColorTech should not be
dusted or sprinkled onto the concrete surface.
2. Consistency of colour of cement, aggregates, slump, finishing
techniques and curing methods are critical in achieving uniformity
3. For consistent colour, the use of pozzolans or flysah
mixes is strongly discouraged.
4. Dosage Guidelines:
Disintegrating Bags – Consult the ColorTech Colour Chart
for colour selections and pigment dose per 94-pound sack of cement.
Bulk – Preweigh colour for accuracy in dosing.
5. A job site sample, using the specified mix design and
colour, should be done for customer approval. For an accurate colour
check on a job site sample or on any job, the recommended size of
the job should be a minimum order of three yards. In order to get
an accurate colour check, view sample when it has fully cured.
6. Concrete should be batched, placed, cured and finished
in accordance with ACI (American Concrete Institute) recommended
1. Ensure that slump does not exceed five inches. Slump
should be consistent from pour to pour. Mix designs requiring higher
slumps should be achieved by using water-reducing or plasticizing
admixtures, not by adding water. Adding water will adversely affect
2. For Ready Mixed Application:
- The drum must be cleaned, and approximately two-thirds of the
mix water and one-half of the aggregates needed should be added
to the drum. The proper combination of disintegrating bags or
preweighed bulk ColorTech should be added to the drum and allowed
to mix at a full charging speed for three to five minutes or until
bags break apart and pigment is distributed evenly.
- Add the balance of the ingredients (water, aggregates, cement
and admixtures) and mix at a full charging speed for 8-10 minutes
(80-100 revolutions). It is the ready mixed supplier’s responsibility
to make sure bags have fully disintegrated. Failure to follow
instructions can result in bags not fully disintegrating.
3. For Central or Premixed Batch Plants:
- After one-half of the total batch has been added to the ready
mixed drum, the proper combination of disintegrating bags or preweighed
bulk ColorTech should be added. Drum should be allowed to mix
at a full charging speed for three to five minutes.
- Add the remainder of the batch to the drum and agitate at full
charging speed until the ColorTech colour is completely dispersed
throughout the mix—about 8-10 minutes (80-100 revolutions). It
is the ready mixed supplier’s responsibility to make sure bags
have fully disintegrated. Failure to follow instructions can result
in bags not fully disintegrating.
4. Type of aggregate, mix design and water content may
affect disintegration of bags. Mixing times and procedures are based
on best practices. Mixing times and procedures may vary from region
to region depending on factors mentioned previously (aggregate type,
etc.). Before discharging the mix, ready mixed supplier should monitor
mix inside the drum to determine that the bags have broken down
5. For Vertical Applications: All forms should be cleaned
thoroughly prior to use or reuse, and applied release agents should
be nonstaining. For best results, forms should be free of cement
latents from any prior concrete pour of a different colour. For colour
uniformity, methods and material used in preparing the forms should
be consistent through the completion of the job.
To achieve more uniform colour, forms should be stripped when the
concrete is the same age. Lightly sandblasting vertical surfaces
is recommended to remove minor form marks and any cement latents
resulting from water, cement, and colouring agents bleeding toward
the forms during concrete placement.
6. For fiber reinforced concrete, fibers should be added
after ColorTech colour has been dispersed.
7. For sand-blasted surfaces, exposed aggregate (3/8-inch
size pea gravel) finishes, or typical 3/8-inch size pea gravel mixes,
open ColorTech bag and empty entire bag of colour into drum to ensure
8. Concrete should be cured according to ACI standards.
The use of QC COLOUR WAX or QC COLOUR CURE is recommended for curing
most new coloured architectural concrete flatwork. (See the respective
Product Information Bulletins for complete product information and
Proper curing, along with maintaining a low slump and protecting
the surface against water penetration, reduces the possibility of
efflorescence. If proper curing methods are not followed, you risk
the possibility of efflorescence appearing. If efflorescence does
occur, remove using a mild muriatic acid and water solution (1 part
muriatic acid to 30 parts water) followed by a light scrubbing or
the use of a low r.p.m. rotary scrubbing machine. (Important
Note: If considering acid-washing with this solution, you should
wait a minimum of 14 days following the initial installation of
ColorTech.) Properly curing with QC COLOUR CURE or QC COLOURWAX,
along with protecting the surface against water penetration, reduces
the possibility of efflorescence.
QC CONSTRUCTION PRODUCTS offers a full range of sealers that enhance
and finish ColorTech colour. (See the respective Product Information
Bulletins for complete product information and application instructions):
- QC CEMGUARD
- QC CEMSEAL
- QC SOLVENT SEAL 18
- QC SOLVENT SEAL VOC II
- Maintenance will vary depending on a number of factors, including
volume and intensity of traffic, geographic location, ultraviolet
light exposure and weather conditions.
- It is strongly recommended that a routine maintenance schedule
for all coloured concrete be followed so that surfaces maintain
a high quality appearance. Every 18 to 36 months, or as required
by volume and intensity of traffic, coloured concrete installations
should be inspected, cleaned and resealed.
- Inconsistencies in job site conditions, finishing practices,
concrete mix design and slump, and curing methods may produce
variations in the colour of the finished product.
- Integrally coloured concrete tends to be limited to lighter,
more pastel colours and is not as brilliant as colour-hardened surfaces.
- Pigment CC80 is not recommended for use in air-entrained concrete.
Pigment CC80 is a high-strength tinting carbon black pigment that
does not meet ASTM C 979. CC80 is subject to fading when exposed
to weathering or repeated wetting and drying.
- As an alternative to CC80, ColorTech CC86 should be used in
air-entrained concrete or in concrete exposed to repeated wetting
- Nonchloride accelerators may be used but not with concrete
mixes containing calcium chloride.
- Disintegrating Bags – Available in 1-, 5- and 25-pound
sizes for exact cubic yard dosing
- Bulk – Available in 50-pound non-disintegrating bulk
- Custom Packaging – ColorTech can be packaged to customer
specifications in either bulk bags or in disintegrating bags upon
request (example: one bag per yard dosing or multiple bag per
For handling and use, consult the corresponding Material Safety
Data Sheet before using product.
ColorTech, a proprietary product, is warranted to be of uniform
quality within manufacturing tolerances. Since control is not exercised
over its use, no warranty, expressed or implied, is made as to the
effects of such use. Seller’s and manufacturer’s obligation under
this warranty shall be limited to refunding the purchase price of
that portion of the material proven to be defective. The user assumes
all other risks and liabilities resulting from use of this product.
If you have any questions, please contact QC CONSTRUCTION PRODUCTS.